Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chicken/Turkey Noodle Soup


3 cups chicken stock (I use Rachel Rays)
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup evaporated milk
2 cups cooked diced chicken (or turkey is good too) (I bake my chicken in a baking pan with some of the chicken stock and seasoned with salt and pepper)
1 - 14 ounce can of tomaotes (I used hunts, it has peppers and other spices)
1 bay leaf
homestyle noodles of your choice (I put in whatever looks good. My recipe says 7 oz. who knows how to measure that? It's about 1 cup)
Roux (mix 2 parts flour, 1 part butter)
In a large pot combine chicken stock, onion, basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf. Stir in vegetables. Bring to boiling until veggies are tender. Add cream of chicken soup and evaporated milk. Thicken with roux as desired. Then add cooked chicken and cooked noodles. Stir in undrained tomatoes. Heat through. Add salt and more pepper to taste. Discard bay leaf. Enjoy!

Makes about 8 cups (6 main dish servings)*

*side note (When I made it this time, I made 8 batches and it made 12, 6 cup soups, with a little bit left over)

No comments: