Thursday, February 10, 2011

White Bean Chicken Chili


(I made 10 batches of this soup and it made 12, 3 lb bags of soup. It makes a ton)
According to my calorie counter each serving of about 1 cup is 182 calories, so it's yummy and low-cal


1 Tbs vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 - 1 full onion chopped depending on taste preference (I used 1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin

2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth (I used 99% fat free hi-top brand)
2 cans (15 oz each) white beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chiles

1 cup Monterey Jack cheese 
Tortilla chips
Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Sour cream (optional)

In a 4-quart saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken, onion, garlic and spices; cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink.

Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese and cilantro. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 to 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.

To serve, spoon chili into soup bowls. Top each serving with cheese, cilantro, and sour cream and eat with chips if desired.

Enjoy!!


**Time Saver**

This time around I made the whole soup and put it into bags. To save time (and sanity) you can just cook the chicken with onions, garlic and spices and put into baggies and just give everyone a bag of cooked, spiced chicken and all the canned food items to mix and heat up themselves. I highly recommend this option. :D

I  love this recipe. I've eaten a bowl of it almost every day since I made it last Friday. YUM!!!


No comments: